
Jared doesn't like milk. I was so excited to get him going on whole milk once I stopped nursing him at a year old, but I gave up after dozens and dozens of failed attempts. I even tried chocolate milk. Recently I have tried to convert Jared to eating cereal with milk for breakfast, but he still hates the milk. In fact, I noticed some red rashes on his chin/neck that he was rubbing, which makes me think he has a slight milk allergy.
This week I bought a carton of vanilla soymilk. Jared has tried it three times and hates it. He sticks out his tongue and makes a "sour" face. (I actually like it. I think it tastes sort of like horchata.)
So now I don't know what to do. I have been paranoid about Jared not getting enough calcium (although he does eat some cheese and yogurt), and then to top it all off, today I read an article in a magazine about children getting rickets when they don't get enough Vitamin D. Now I am even more paranoid.
Any suggestions? The only thing I can think of is to buy those infant vitamin drops again and give them to Jared daily.
(image from http://school.discoveryeducation.com/clipart/images/milk.gif)
8 comments:
Some people who don't like Soy Milk prefer rice milk. I like both, and you can get enriched rice milk that has added calcium, and other vitamins, but I can't remember if Vitamin D is added.
Don't know if you've tried asking Jared's doctor about it, but he should have information about this situation. I think allergies to milk are fairly common.
Also, milk (or soymilk or ricemilk--probably plain) can be added to a lot of foods, although rice milk changes the consistency a bit and tastes funny to me when it's cooked--I prefer to drink rice milk.
Good luck!! If the vitamins are covered by your insurance, then that might be the cheapest way to go (less effort involved, too).
My friend's son also refused to switch to milk. Their pediatrician told them not to give him anything to drink but milk until he started drinking it. When he gets thirsty enough he will drink it. It was a rough three days, but he loves it now. Good luck!
I have 2 very picky eaters, but they both love milk...my friend had your same problem and she would make milk smoothies with yogurt and strawberries, etc and then let her daughter drink from a fun straw. I would not stress TOO much though...as long as he is getting some calcium I am sure he will be fine. Just keep trying! Isn't being a mom hard sometimes? I always say it is the hardest most wonderful thing to be a mom...good luck!:)
I would call the pediatrition.
I have a niece that doesn't like milk, but she does like cheese, yogurt, and ice cream, so they make sure to give her plenty of those each day so she is still getting her calcium. And yes, you can ask your pediatrician about supplement drops; even though we don't have this same problem, we do give Katelee a prescription multivitamin everyday, just to be sure.
You are a great mom. Isn't it funny sometimes to think about the things you worry about once you become a mom. I never even imagined the things I would think, talk, and worry about before I had Katelee! It's kinda funny!
have you tried warming it up? Also the smoothie idea and the cheese. My kids never really drink milk. They love shredded cheese.
Your body produces vit D when you are in the sun. The rickets thing is from people eating junk and being inside all day
Total bummer! We did what you friend of Hannah's did and it worked for us. (offered nothing but milk). It's a tough job, but imagine all the expense you'd have to go to if he doesn't learn to like it! Mike has some pretty strong opinions on this topic, you could talk to him about it.
My Baby that is 16 months old has to drink warm milk. Also, you could try adding some strawberry syrup to it and see if he owuld drink that. My older two that the only way we would get milk down them. Now they drink it just fine. Hopefully something will work out.
Post a Comment